How Much Do Uber Drivers Make in Arizona in 2023
Did you know that Uber drivers completed over 7 billion trips in 2022? That’s almost double 2017 numbers according to Business of Apps*. With so many passengers requesting rides, now is the best time to join Uber’s network of drivers. But you might be wondering how much do Uber drivers make in Arizona?
Driving for Uber offers the opportunity to work for yourself, to your own schedule. Work as much or as little as you’d like, either as a full-time job or a part-time hustle.
If you’re a people person, driving for Uber could be right up your street. You will encounter so many different passengers that you’re guaranteed a story or two!
In this post, we look into the earning potential of getting paid to drive in Arizona. At the end, we share some tips and tricks to make the most of your pay.
How Much Could I Earn as an Uber Driver in Arizona?
The amount you could earn as an Uber driver in Arizona is up to you! More time behind the wheel means more money in the bank.
A 2020 study from Ridester estimated that:
- Uber X drivers earn $18 an hour
- Uber Black drivers earn $25 an hour
Assuming a 40 hour working week, Uber X drivers could expect to earn around $30,000 per year based on earnings alone.
If an Uber Black driver consistently earns $25 an hour, they can expect a yearly salary of $52,000.
However, this figure doesn’t factor in location, surge pricing, bonuses and tips which we’ll get into further down.
Where to Start as an Uber Driver
So the potential to earn and work whenever you choose interests you. But where do you start?
Signing up to Uber is simple, and you can do that here. You’ll need to provide Uber with some personal information and details about your car. Uber will also ask you to do an online background check.
Most importantly, Uber requires a copy of your driving license so have that to hand when you sign up.
Once Uber confirms your application, the next step is insurance.
Arizona Livery Insurance From INSHUR
Did you know?
Uber’s standard insurance only covers you for third-party incidents where you’re not at fault. You will not have coverage for any damage you cause, which could result in expensive bills if an incident occurs.
Plus, to drive for Uber Black you’ll need an extra level of livery insurance. You’ll also need to maintain a high driving record, and driver score above 4.85.
INSHUR insurance provides two levels of coverage for Uber drivers in Arizona. Silver will cover you for your basics, while Gold is our more comprehensive option.
We’re also an Uber-preferred insurance provider! Even better, both of our policies cover you for Uber Black.
Getting an online quote is very simple, and all INSHUR policies are 100% digital. Access your policy and documents from any place, any time.
Click the button below to get your Uber Arizona quote started now.
How Uber Calculates Driver Earnings
How exactly does Uber calculate your earnings as a professional driver?
The answer can be more complicated than you think.
To calculate what a driver has earned, Uber use a few different metrics.
- Driver Location – are you in a busy city or in a rural area
- Surge Pricing – this is where passenger demand outstrips available drivers. You’ll earn larger fares during these times, such as rush hour. Keep an eye on pricing around busy areas like Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and popular hotels in cities.
- Tips – Drivers keep 100% of the tips they earn, so it pays to keep a clean car and a friendly attitude.
So while an average Uber driver salary in Arizona could be $30,000 per year, there are opportunities to increase your take-home pay.
Tips and Tricks for Keeping Costs Down
With gas and oil prices creeping higher every day, driver expenses can eat away at your earnings.
The RideshareGuy spoke to one Uber Black driver who said his expenses average around 40% of his revenue. However, he clarifies this covers his vehicle repayments, insurance, parking and airport fees, his personally funded pension contribution – everything. Plus, some of these are tax deductible!
So what can you do to keep costs down and keep some extra money?
- Using GasBuddy can help you find the lowest gas price in your area. Type in your city, choose between fuel types and compare real-time prices. Read this post for more fuel-saving tips.
- Keeping your car interior clean and tidy means you won’t have to worry about a hefty cleaning bill in future. Spot tidying and emptying trash from the end of your day could also positively impact your driver record and your tips!
- You’re never sure of the best price until you come to us! Get a quote with INSHUR to see if we can save you money on your livery insurance.
- Roll down a window instead of using air-conditioning – unless, of course, the Arizona heat is becoming truly unbearable! And in milder winter conditions, wear an extra layer before putting on the heat.
- Finally, make sure you’re routinely maintaining your vehicle to a high standard. Flat tyres consume more gas, as does unnecessary baggage in the trunk. The heavier your vehicle, the more gas the engine consumes.
- Bonus tip: Driving safely! Driving safer reduces the likelihood of being involved in an accident. So be calm and slow, take it easy and stay alert.
We hope this article has given you an idea of how much Uber drivers make in Arizona in 2023. Driving for Uber has great earning potential, with some drivers earning well above the median average for Arizona.
Uber offers total flexibility to work when and where you choose. Plus there are some fantastic benefits for maintaining a high driver score, such as fully funded tuition. We’ll get into this in a future article, so keep your eyes peeled.
We hope that this article helps you work out if driving for Uber is worth it for you. Remember that you keep 100% of the tips you make, and Uber Black drivers earn significantly more than Uber X drivers.
So once you have some experience under your seatbelt, you can level up your vehicle and your earnings.
Uber-Preferred Insurance from INSHUR
Make sure that you have the correct level of coverage from INSHUR.
We’re on a mission to bring simple insurance to drivers like you, who need something quick and hassle-free.
Plus unlike other insurance companies, we’re Uber’s preferred insurance provider, meaning you’re in safe hands.
With INSHUR, there’s no need to worry about paperwork on application, everything is 100% digital.
Start your quote today and get covered in minutes.