Where Are The Riders In The UK? | August 2020
At INSHUR we look for ways to help Uber drivers make more money – revealing where the crowds are is one of them. But as many events have been cancelled this year due to COVID-19, identifying reliable rider pickup locations has become a bit of a guessing game for Private Hire drivers.
Since non-essential businesses were forced to close in March, our customers told us that they were mostly picking up from supermarkets, hospitals and schools. Now that lockdown restrictions are easing, Citymapper’s Mobility Index suggests that weekend peak social hours are increasing.
Socially-distanced activities and pop-up food and drink venues are now established in many city centres. Scroll down to find out where the riders are likely to be this August.
At the busiest they have been since March, airports such as Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham and Stansted are usually ideal places for Uber drivers to pick up passengers and get tips. Click here for all you need to know on UK airports during COVID-19.
Spaced Out Rooftop Bar & Pub
- Where: The Prince of Wales, Brixton, London
- When: Every Tuesday – Thursday
- Times: 6.00 – 11.00pm
Insider’s scoop: On Thursday’s the rooftop bar is open a little later, until midnight. There’s always lots going on at this venue’s multi-floored bar and club, be sure to check their website for more upcoming events.
Alice in Wonderland – Down The Rabbit Hole!
- Where: The Aeronaut, Acton High Street, London
- When: 19th – 21st August
- Times: 2.00 – 5.00pm
Insider’s scoop: Bottomless Brunch is now also back at The Aeronaut between 11.00am & 2.00pm, every Saturday and Sunday.
Jesus Christ Superstar: The Concert
- Where: Open Air Theatre, Regent’s Park, London
- When: 14th August – 27th September
- Times: Shows start at 5.00pm and/or 7.30pm, depending on the day
Insider’s scoop: This theatre is outside the central London congestion charging zone.
The Big Birmingham Bake
- Where: Floodgate Street, Birmingham
- When: Every Wednesday to Sunday
- Times: Wednesday/Thursday/Friday – 6.00pm & 8.30pm, Saturday – 12.00pm, 2.30pm & 5.30pm, Sunday – 11.00am, 1.30pm, 4.30pm
Insider’s scoop: Sessions last 90 minutes, so plan to be in the area around 90 minutes after the start times listed above.
The Lawn Club
- Where: Spinningfields, Manchester
- When: Open 7 days a week
- Times: 12.00 – 11.00pm
Insider’s scoop: Accepts time allocated bookings, as well as reserved space for walk-ins meaning a regular turnover of footfall and potential riders. The Lawn Club also stays open later on a Friday and Saturday. Ask your rider to meet you on Gartside Street.
Festival Village: Merchant City
- Where: Candleriggs Square, Wilson Street, Glasgow
- When: Every day until 31st August
- Times: 11.00am – 10.00 pm
Insider’s scoop: This is a family-friendly event, meaning the possibility of little legs getting tired and the need to jump in a taxi.
Eat Out To Help Out Scheme
The UK Government’s initiative encouraging the nation to dine out with a discount, early in the week. Heading out for an impromptu weeknight dinner, may also result in increased taxi demand.
- Where: Across the UK, in participating restaurants
- When: Every Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, 3rd – 31st August
Delivery work is a good way to stay on the road and keep earning and has become increasingly popular amongst rideshare drivers. Click here to find out more and remember, with INSHUR you are automatically covered to do delivery work at no added cost.
Wherever you go to pick up passengers, make sure that both you and your rider are wearing a face-covering.