15 Jan Keep To The Code
Your vehicle is your office and money-maker. You need to keep it running well if you’re going to bring in the bucks. However, you also must keep it running legal if you want to avoid, tickets, fines and other ugly penalties. How do you do this?
The TLC demands that all licensed taxis, limousines and private hire vehicles that operate in NYC conform to a code of safety and roadworthiness. There are two levels of inspection and every operator vehicle must pass them according to the following guidelines:
Every 4 months the vehicle must pass an inspection at a DMV facility. This is a NY State requirement and you can organize the check-up on your own. You do not have to go to the TLC inspection facility.
You can find a convenient DMV inspection center here: https://process.dmv.ny.gov/FacilityLookup/
Once your vehicle passes, its compliance sticker will be updated.
Every 2 years your vehicle must pass a TLC mandated check. The process for this is more complex and it works like this:
- Submit Your Documents. Vehicle owners must submit a $625 payment to the TLC through LARS, (the TLC’s License, Application, Renewals and Summonses system) and email copies of their registration and insurance (FH1 and Certificate of Liability) to the TLC. LARS address: https://www1.nyc.gov/lars/
- Before beginning the TLC license renewal process, please note that the TLC expects you to use a current and valid email address with the LARS system. If your email address has changed, the TLC requires you to update it with them. TLC email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Receive inspection appointment . Once the TLC receives the payment and documents, they will email the vehicle owner an inspection appointment time at the TLC’s Safety & Emissions Facility located at 24-55 BQE West, Woodside, NY, 11377.
- Bring your TLC license and insurance information with you on the day of your inspection.
- Attend your inspection appointment
- Once the vehicle passes the inspection, the FHV permit should be renewed and active.
Be smart, be safe.