What is the TLC?
The Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC) is a New York City regulatory body that licenses and regulates various passenger transportation industries in NYC. The TLC issues several types of licenses, each has their own insurance requirements:
- Black Car – pre-arranged passenger transportation, mostly non-cash, stricter vehicle standards
- Livery – pre-arranged passenger transportation, any type of payment, any type of vehicle
- Green Taxi – subclass of Livery with special permit, street hail rights in outer boros and upper Manhattan
- Yellow Taxi – exclusive street hail rights in NYC
- Luxury Limo – flat rate pre-arranged transportation with stricter vehicle standards
- Commuter Van – work within specific geographic areas
- Paratransit – pre-arranged service for non-emergency medical transportation
Insurance For TLC Vehicles
Vehicles licensed by the TLC are subject to minimum insurance coverage requirements that vary by class and seating capacity. Most classes of vehicles are subject to liability coverage of $100,000 per person, $300,000 per accident, $200,000 personal injury protection and $10,000 in property damage. Sounds confusing? It doesn’t have to be. Just download the INSHUR app, scan your TLC license and in seconds you are presented with insurance quotes from top TLC insurance carriers. From there you can purchase a TLC insurance policy and get all your important documents in the app.
Vehicles by Industry