Using my private hire insurance abroad after Brexit with a Green Card

Using my private hire insurance abroad after Brexit with a Green Card

The UK has now parted ways with the EU following Brexit, this means in order for us to continue to cover your SDP use when driving abroad in the EU, you are required to get a Green Card.

What’s a Green Card?

A Green Card is an insurance document that proves you have the minimum compulsory level of cover to drive legally and safely in countries which use the Green Card system. Please note that it is not evidence of your full insurance policy.

How is my cover affected by Brexit?

Following the Brexit negotiations, it is a legal requirement for drivers to have a Green Card in order to drive in countries you would’ve otherwise been covered for. 

Do I need a Green Card?

With a Green Card, you’ll be covered to drive in the following countries outside of the UK:

  • Countries in the European Union (EU)
  • Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • Andorra
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland

You’ll need to request a Green Card prior to departing in order to travel, even if you are only driving through the above countries. 

You must print a copy of your Green Card prior to departure, so it is recommended that you contact us 48hrs in advance. If you require us to send you a paper copy then we ask you to give us 2 weeks notice.

It’s also important to note that if you are towing a trailer/caravan, this will require a separate Green Card.

How much does a Green Card cost?

There is no charge for issuing and obtaining a Green Card.

How do I get a Green Card?

If you think you may be abroad in one of the countries listed above after 31 December 2020, you should contact us and we’ll be happy to help:

You must print your Green Card before travelling. Please use white A4 paper with black ink (no colour). Make sure the ink is free of smudges and there are no other marks on the page as your Green Card will not be accepted if it is not readable.  

If you have any further questions, please contact us and we’d be happy to help!

Brexit Regulations

Due to the UK leaving the EU on the 31st December, there has been a slight change to the regulatory stance of our underwriter Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, which you will see on the footer and/or insurer information section on your policy wording and IPID. This change does not affect your insurance and you are still covered with the piece of mind knowing that Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch holds an excellent level of financial security rating and an A.M. Best rating A+ (Superior).

Not found